Friday, June 11, 2021

The Whistler

I love people who are truly enthusiastic about a particular hobby or subject and work diligently to add to the sum total of knowledge about it. 

Case in point: I'm a casual fan of the old-time radio program, The Whistler. By casual, I mean that I enjoy listening to the anthology series and learning more about what went on behind the scenes. 

I recently found two fans online who take their Whistler much more seriously.  Karl Schadow and Joe Webb are experts about the show's various hosts, dueling versions from west and east coasts, and movie and TV spinoffs. 

A 53-minute presentation from Schadow and Webb, recorded several years ago at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, offers a wealth of scholarship. It's more than a casual fan like me would want or need, but again, I love the energy and enthusiasm the hosts bring to the subject. 

The presentation, along with loads of other archival material about this obscure OTR (old-time radio) program, can be found at the aptly named Whistler Files. It's a fun site. 


No comments:

Post a Comment